Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wilmot Brewing Co.


Awhile ago I mentioned having a copy of the Wilmot Brewing Co. label, which I finally found in my files. Charles Willmott (yes, I believe that is the way he usually spelled his name) was born in England about 1823. By 1860 he was in San Francisco and proprietor of the Burton Ale Brewery in North Beach. As noted earlier he was instrumental in the formation of the Swan Brewery but left in 1876 and formed the Wilmot Brewery. I am not sure how long the Wilmot Brewery lasted but by at least 1892 Willmott was involved with the San Francisco Stock Brewery. He died June 12, 1911, in San Francisco at age 83.

Willmott married Mary Jones who was English born as well. They married either late 1860 or early 1861, likely in San Francisco, for their first born appeared in 1861. The couple eventually had 12 children, nine of whom were still alive in 1900. Mary Willmott died in San Francisco December 28, 1911.

3 comments:

  1. I find myself correcting my own stuff. Mary Jones Willmott actually died on December 28, 1927 in San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just joined, so forgive my newbieness. My great-great grandfather opened Wagner's Beer Hall (now the Saloon) in 1861. I read of the number of breweries in San Francisco ca. 1860 as 24 in the article by Susan Saperstein in cityguides. So where does she get her information? What beer styles were produced, where were they, and where did the malt and hops come from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this information and image. Charles Wilmot/Willmott is an ancestor of mine.

    ReplyDelete